Thursday, February 5, 2009

Rice Cake Soup (dduk gook)

I know this is late, but I say better later than never... hehe~ I made this January 26th for Chinese New Years. It's a tradition in our family or I should say Korean tradition to eat dduk gook for New Years and Thanksgiving (both American and lunar). I could be wrong, but this is my guess. I would assume eating rice cake means good luck just like how Americans throw rice at the end of the wedding. Anyways, to the recipe... hehe~

If you need some guidance with the ingredients, you can check my Korean Cooking 101. ;)

Ingredients:
beef
water
garlic (chopped and not chopped)
ginger
rice cake
2 eggs
dumplings
garlic salt
black pepper
salt
2 green onions
3 crab meat
chopped seaweed

Serving: 4-5

Step 1:
This is a pre-step I did several hours before the cooking. You can skip this part, but it actually taste better with this step or at least I think so.
I actually soak the beef in warm water to wash out some blood before I start cooking. You don't have to do this part but I like to. In a big pot, add water, beef that you soaked in warm water, ginger, and garlic (not the chopped ones). I didn't have garlic at this time so I skipped that... lol~ :X

Once its done, the fat will rise to the top. You will have to scoop the fat out of the broth since you will use it again. This is a picture before I scooped the fat out so you can see what I meant. Then take out the beef and let it cool.
Once its cool, shred the beef into little pieces. You will shred it with your fingers in the direction of the beef. I put it in a container to use for later.

Step 2:
Before I start cooking, I soak my rice cake in water. I make sure the rice cakes are separated.

The broth I cooked earlier I turn on the stove. It will start boiling and then I add chopped garlic and rice cake.
With the heat, the rice cake will get softer. During this time, I separate my egg whites from the yolk. I will fry the yolk and egg whites separately. Then I let it shimmer on the side and cut them into long, thin strips which you will see at the end of the recipe. ;) I just realized I didn't take any pictures. My bad!!! :X

Once the rice cake has gotten softer, I add dumplings/won tons/mandoos whatever you want to call it. ;) You don't have to add this part since it's not tradition to eat this. I think it taste better with dumplings... hehe~
Starting here, you need to be careful with the spoon. If you touch the dumplings, the skin will come off which you will see in the next picture... lol~ :X Once the dumplings are ready, it will rise to the top. I also added some garlic salt to add some saltiness to the soup.

You will add black pepper and salt to fit to your taste. Then chop some green onions, and I like to add crab meat. I also cut my crab meat into long, thin pieces.
I add these at the end of the cooking once I know the taste fits to mine. I shimmer for about 2-5 minutes and then you can eat it... hehe~
Scoop the soup into a bowl, add the shredded beef, the chopped egg whites, the chopped yolk, and chopped seaweed. Now you can eat with kimchi!!! :)

For the seaweed, this is what I do. I turn on the stove. I grab one corner of the seaweed and pull it quickly against the stove. It will toast one side of the seaweed and do the other. Do this until you like how toasted it is. Then cut it into long, thin strips. I usually put it in a zip lock bag and keep it until the next time I need to use it.

17 comments:

ⓚ☪ said...

I love rice cake, YUMMMMMMMMM@@@!!!

Anonymous said...

i have been a long time lurker and i love your food recipes. korean food is one of my faves. (i'm vietnamese) can't wait to try it out and please keep posting more korean recipes. thanks!

fuzkittie said...

!!!! I wish I could cook...

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...looks good! Im glad that these are starting to roll back into the blog as well! hurray~
But dang...maybe I should try and make something soupy...

AskMeWhats said...

Ally!! I'd love to try this, never tried this soup in my life! :)

Jnie said...

omigosh, that looks sooo good! I have to try this one.

purple snowflake said...

Hey
I just got up not long ago. it's like 11 am already.. so might as go have brunch, eating breaky while reading blogs and came across your cooking..

DAMN~~~ looks yummy =p

Ahleessa said...

nancy: Thank you for commenting! I love reading people's thought. I hope the recipe comes out yummie! :)

xJUDYx said...

yay recipes! i miss these kinda posts!!

Yumeko said...

whee u posted the recipe! i'll try it for sure!

paperdollrevenge said...

Aww you are so sweet...you were prob the first sweet blogger I met! =P

I love your cooking posts...always makes me hungry, even though I don't always know what the food tastes like but your pics look so darn good!! I like your Korean Cooking 101 Class, it's perfect for someone like me who's never really had Korean friends so I know so little about Korean food/cooking!

Kimberly said...

ohhhh emme geeeeee...

i am soo making this tonight -- i bought some of those rice cakes, and the long ones too from my local korean market on sunday... and this recipe is perfect for the so. cali rainy weekend....

HOOOORAY AHLEEHEEZY!!!!
have a great weekend!!!

Anonymous said...

That looks sooo good!

SunKiss said...

sound good im going to try this . My mother in law made that on new year day and it was good, she don't usually tell ppl her recipe but now I know how to make it.

SunKiss said...

look good, mother in law made this on new yr day and it was good and now i know how to make it hehe

Jennifer @ www.aegiscode.net said...

hey girlie, long time since i commented but i do check out your blog regularly :D

went to a korean bbq yesterday and wants something warm in my tummy so after seeing your post... i had to order this. I never had rice cake dumpling soup b4 but it was yummy. i think i would have enjoyed your version more though. at the restuarant they just cracked the egg in the soup, i didn't enjoy that as much. :P

Also my family pre boils our meat also, i find it makes the meat more tender and cleaner hehe

MzUnicaHija19 said...

I definitely have to try this!!!!
Thanks for posting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...