Monday, April 19, 2010

Noodle Soup (kal guk-su)

Disclaimer: The products mentioned in this post are given to me. I am not affiliated with the company nor getting paid to advertise the products. This post is written with my honest opinion.

I posted kim-chi kal guk-su (click here to see the recipe), but I need to post the original dish... hehe~ Here is my recipe for kal guk-su. I hope you guys like it! :) If you guys have made my recipe, PLEASE tell me how it turned out and how you like it. I would love to know if these recipes even help anybody... hehe~

If you need some guidance with the ingredients, you can check my Korean Cooking 101. ;)

Ingredients:
anchovies
dried seaweed/kelp
dried shiitake mushroom
noodle
chopped garlic
clams
onion
squash
egg/s
black pepper
garlic powder
salt
chopped green onion

Step 1:

Before you make the dish, you need to have the broth ready. In a pot, add the ingredients for the broth; anchovies, dried kelp, and dried shiitake mushroom (not pictured here). Cook the broth for 15-20 minutes. Once the broth is ready, you will take out all the ingredients. The only one you will throw away is the anchovies. Save the kelp and mushroom for later.
One thing I noticed about noodles is that they expand and make the soup thick. It's probably from the starch... hehe~ I decided to try this method like jja-jjang-myun (click here for the recipe) and see how it will turn out. I boil the noodles separately instead of adding it into the soup/broth. It actually made the soup cleaner in my opinion... hehe~ :) So in a pot, boil the water. When it starts boiling, add the noodles. Cook the noodles until it is done. Get rid of the water and rinse the noodles. Keep the noodles for later... hehe~ ;)

Step 2:
Back to the broth, add the ingredients. First, add the chopped garlic. Then add clams but I only add 3 or 4. It tastes better with a lot of clams but clams have cholesterol which isn't too good especially for my dad. For that reason, I only add a little to give the broth some taste... hehe~ Oh yeah, it is up to you but I tend to rinse my clams before I throw it into the soup. It gets rid of sand, as well as, it feels cleaner to me... hehe~ The dried shiitake mushroom you used for the broth should have expanded. Cut the mushroom into julienne pieces and throw it back into the broth.
Then I chop my onions into julienne pieces and throw them in.
Then I chop squash and throw that in.
If you're making this for a guest, you wouldn't do this part... hehe~  You would separate your yolk and whites, and fried them separately.  Cut them into julienne pieces and top the soup.  Since this is only for my father and me, I just threw the egg into the soup... hehe~  Once you put the egg into the soup, make sure to break the yolk or else you will have one big chunk of yolk... lol~  It only takes minutes for the soup to cook the egg.  After couple of minutes, I add the seasoning; black pepper, garlic powder, and salt.  If you don't have garlic powder, you don't need to worry about it... hehe~ ;)
With jja-jang-myun, you put the noodle in the dish and then top it. You could do that with this dish; put the cooked noodles and top it with the soup. I decided to just add the noodles toward the end with chopped green onion and julienne pieces of the kelp you used for the broth. You don't need to use the kelp if you don't want too... hehe~ ;) I made sure it tasted well. If the taste changes from these added ingredients, add more seasoning (salt and/or black pepper).
Here's the end dish. Top the soup with dried seaweed. I usually just toast it on the stove, both sides, and cut it into julienne pieces. You can crunch it with your hands or even in a plastic bag. It is up to you... hehe~  You can eat this with kim-chi... wheee~ :)


This past week I went to visit the Lancome stand in Macy. I had a coupon for 10 day supply of their foundation (click here for the coupon). I've been curious about Lancome foundation because it seems like the majority of the Koreans in my community uses their foundation. They say it's the best out of all the brands so I've been curious about it... hehe~ :/ While getting a foundation match, the makeup artist (by the way she wasn't that good) was telling me there's a freebie going on.  If you apply for the Macy's card even if you get rejected, you get a bag full of goodies.  I thought it didn't hurt since there's no risk and money involved... hehe~
Here's what I got... I got a huge makeup bag, makeup remover, some lift product, moisturizer, two Juicy Tubes, and a mascara. I will review the products when I use them, but for the Juicy Tubes I swatched them for you... hehe~
On the left, it's Tickled Pink. It's such a gorgeous color! On the right, it's Fifth Avenue Frosting. By the way, this one smells bad or at least for me... hehe~ :X I think it has a vanilla scent which I'm not too keen on.

I thought I would tell you this deal going on so you guys can get your own freebies without purchasing anything... hehe~ The reason why I think the makeup artist isn't good is because she couldn't swatch the foundation on me *sigh*. :X She kept applying darker colors that didn't even match my skin.


I'm going to end this post with a picture of Tobey. I'm warning you ahead it's hilarious or at least I had a major crack up with tears!!!... LOL~


He wanted to be a part of the beauty community and dress up like one of the Japanese girls... hehe~  I'm just kidding!  I did this picture from PuriCute (click here for the link). I hope you guys had a great laugh... LOL~ :)

Disclaimer: The products mentioned in this post are given to me. I am not affiliated with the company nor getting paid to advertise the products. This post is written with my honest opinion.

14 comments:

Jamilla Camel said...

You are the most amazing cook! I just slobber every time I look at your food!

I love Tobey's Kawaii pic...need to do one for my cat!

NicRTV (陳亞任) said...

yay!!for recipes..another one to try....and awww....that is one hilarious and cute photo of tobey....:D

Anonymous said...

your food always looks so good. if only i had time to cook. maybe after i graduate!

Nicol said...

its making me hungry and it looks so yummy! :)LMAO at the last picture xD

DinaXYYan said...

The noodle soup looks yummy! LOL at the Tobey's pic. That is really hilarious :D

Anonymous said...

I <3 soup noodles!! Look yummy there!!

How cool is that receive freebies from lancome!! The lipglosses look really pretty!

Hilarious pic of Toby hehe!

Bijin Blair said...

Yum!! Kal guk-su looks so light and delicious! Perfect for me as I'm not feeling too well :(

¿나디아? said...

I'm going to try your noodle soup, I'LL let you know how I think it tastes; It looks good so it must taste good! :D

Jo said...

aww I'm still around, I just don't update as much (or at all) anymore :( but I do pop in on my fave blogs from time to time :)

Hope you are doing well!

ps. I love your cooking! I may give a few of them a try especially warm winter soups like this - it's getting colder down under brrrr! :P

gio said...

Your food always looks so yummy!

Lol at the picture of Tobey. He looks so cute!

Shop N' Chomp said...

LMAO at that pic of Tobey! That's the best FOTD I've seen to date. XP Oh my gosh, you have no idea how much I lurve noodle soup! Any and all really...hee hee. =D Can't say I've tried Lancome foundation before. Now I'm intrigued. Totally love the fact that you get that goody bag regardless! Looking forward to your thoughts on each product.

P.S Sorry to hear about your Target. =\ Maybe try a different location?

Luna said...

that picture of Tobey is so hilarious!! lol..

glad to know we're in the same shade family.. lol.. makes it easier to figure out if something you like might work for me as well =)

Golden said...

The noodle dish looks yummy! I will always go back to your blog for Korean recipes. Who knows, I may someday amaze my Hubby with a Korean dish.

That is a hilarious pic of Tobey. LOL!

Lots of love,

miRaCLe said...

yummyyyyy!! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...