Monday, December 31, 2018

Manicure Monday: Essie Gel Couture in Turn 'N' Pose

Disclaimer: The product mentioned in this post is bought with my money. I am not affiliated with the company nor getting paid to advertise the product. This post is written with my honest opinion.

Sorry I have not blogged in awhile. Things got a little hectic. I am trying my best to get into my daily routine and that includes blogging three times a week. Another thing I'm trying to get back into is Manicure Monday. I don't know if you are like me but I don't really make resolutions. I know myself too well to know I break them. Many years ago I started giving a theme for that year. For example 2018 was "Change." Each day I would remind myself what changes I wanted to do in my life. It could be something simple as change hair color to something big like get a new job. This year 2019 my theme is "Get Organized" and that includes not being lazy. With that said, here's my first Manicure Monday of 2019. When I went shopping at the outlets in November, I saw this kit from Essie. I was really intrigued. For this post, I will only review the polish.

Product Review: Essie Gel Couture in turn 'n' pose

Where to purchase: ULTA and online at essie.com
Price: $11.50 for 13.5 mL/0.46 fl oz

Made in USA

Description from the website: You have arrived. Step and repeat to the beat of this fascinating longwear, midnight plum and walk into fashion infamy. Step 1: apply two coats of gel couture color. Step 2: apply gel couture top coat.

gel couture product benefits:
* up to 12 days of luxurious wear and impeccable gel-like shine in an easy 2 step system
* easy removal
* patent-pending curve hugging brush for perfect essie color coverage
* use with gel couture top coat for optimal results
Ingredients:
ETHYL ACETATE, BUTYL ACETATE, PROPYL ACETATE, NITROCELLULOSE, TOSYLAMIDE/EPOXY RESIN, ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL, ACETYL TRIBUTYL CITRATE, ETHYL TOSYLAMIDE, ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, STEARALKONIUM HECTORITE, TRIBUTYL CITRATE, OCTOCRYLENE, ADIPIC ACID/NEOPENTYL GLYCOL/TRIMELLITIC ANHYDRIDE COPOLYMER, HYDROGENATED ACETOPHENONE/OXYMETHYLENE COPOLYMER, DIMETHICONE, CITRIC ACID, SILICA, BENZOPHENONE-1, OXIDIZED POLYETHYLENE, SYNTHETIC FLUORPHLOGOPITE, COLOPHONIUM / ROSIN / COLOPHANE, CALCIUM SODIUM BOROSILICATE, ALUMINA, POLYETHYLENE TEREPHTHALATE, CALCIUM ALUMINUM BOROSILICATE, TIN OXIDE, POLYURETHANE-11, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, ACETONE, CI 77002 / ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE.
Thoughts: When I saw this product, I was curious if the products last as long as it proclaims (14 days of wear). I decided to try it. It doesn't hurt.
Here's a closer look at the polish and top coat.
Here's a closer look at the color. The website describes it as "cream purple." I don't know if I completely agree. It's more a darker plum.
Here's a closer look at the brush. This particular brush is the top coat but it's the same as the polish. The only difference is the handle that holds the brush. There's a twist with the polish to match the packaging. Compared to my favorite brush OPI, the width is the same. The length, on the other hand, is a lot shorter. I would say it's on the short side. There's also a curve at the end, whereas, OPI is flat.
I applied OPI Nail Envy in Original, two coats of Essie Gel Couture in turn 'n' pose, and topped it off with Essie Gel Couture Top Coat.

Now for my overall opinion... First of all, I actually really like the brush. The width makes it easy to do quick three strokes and then move onto the next nail. I also like the curve at the tip. It helps paint around the cuticles and not go over the nails. It's probably one of my all time favorite. Yes, I actually like it better than OPI and that's pretty shocking I must say. Secondly, I'm mixed about the packaging. I like how unique the shape is. It stands out and it's easy to distinguish between their normal polish packaging. The part I don't like is when you hold the packaging. You're fingers are supposed to fit with the curve. It's good for people who hold the polish with their left hands. If you're holding with your right hand, you won't fit with the curve. Since I hold with my left hand, I'm perfectly fine. With that said, it's well-made and sturdy. It's made out of thick glass. The top is also sturdy. You can feel a tight seal when you open and close. I cannot see it open or break unless you are rough with the packaging. For this reason, it's travel-friendly. It's easy to throw in your purse, bag, and your pocket. Third, the consistency is creamy and medium. It's not too thin that it runs everywhere. It's also not too thick. It's easy to work with and you can take your time while painting. You don't have to worry that it'll dry while painting. I did notice if you stroke more than three times, the polish moves a bit and creates a streaky texture. That's what happened with my middle nail. You can see it at the top by the cuticle. I thought the second coat would fix it but it did not. You need to make sure the first coat is nice for the second layer to go on. I learned through experience. It also could be I forgot how to paint my nails after how many months of not wearing polishes. Anything is possible. Fourth, the color is a great fall and winter color. I actually like the color a lot. It's not too dark that it looks black. You can actually see the purple. Pigmentation-wise it's up there. I was pretty impressed. Two coats is good enough for this polish. Lastly, I've been wearing it for five days and there's no chipping whatsoever. I do see slight shrinkage but it's so minimal. It honestly looks like it just got painted. I'm pretty impressed. I would have wore it until it chipped but I need to move onto another nail look. I'm so glad I purchased this product. I'm really happy with it.

Pros:
* Great brush.
* Wide width; quick three strokes per nail.
* Curve tip on the brush; easy to paint around the cuticles.
* Unique packaging; stands out and can distinguish from their normal polishes.
* Great for people who hold with their left hand; fit the curves.
* Well-made and sturdy packaging.
* Sturdy top; can feel a tight seal when you open and close.
* Travel-friendly.
* Creamy, medium consistency.
* Can take your time while painting.
* First layer needs to be nicely done for the polish to look good.
* Great fall and winter color.
* Pigmented.
* No chipping whatsoever.
* Slight shrinkage on the fifth day.

Cons:
* Not great for people who hold with their right hand; don't fit the curves.
* Don't recommend painting more than three strokes per nail; it'll be streaky.

Would repurchase: Yes.
Rating:  4.5/5 Tobey's Paws


Other Essie polishes reviewed/swatch:

Disclaimer: The product mentioned in this post is bought with my money. I am not affiliated with the company nor getting paid to advertise the product. This post is written with my honest opinion.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...