Monday, April 7, 2014

Orly Calcium Shield Basecoat

Disclaimer: The product mentioned in this post is given to me. I am not affiliated with the company nor getting paid to advertise the product. This post is written with my honest opinion.

For two weeks, I tested KKCenterHK Diamond Foil and it pushed my schedule back. I might not have skipped wearing polishes but I'm not up-to-date. I'll be back next week with a new polish for Manicure Monday. My friend gifted me an Orly basecoat.

I took this picture from my Instagram. For this post, I will review the basecoat on the top middle.
Product Review: Orly Calcium Shield Strengthening Basecoat

Where to purchase: ULTA, Sally Beauty, nail supply stores, and online at orlybeauty.com
Price:  $10 for 0.6 fl oz (the one I have is 0.3 fl oz)

Made in USA

Description from the website: Build thicker, stronger and more flexible nails to encourage healthy nail growth.
Thoughts: My friend, who gifted me this basecoat, mentioned how great this basecoat is. Before I talk more about the Orly basecoat, let me tell you my history. I've always used basecoat and I thought it was to protect your nails from turning yellow. For that reason, I would buy any cheap basecoat or hardener. I just assumed anything will protect for awhile. Let me tell you, my whole concept has changed!
Here's a closer look at the Orly basecoat. The bottle itself is light blue not the product.
Here's a look at the brush. Compared to OPI, the brush is slight thinner. I wouldn't say it's thin but maybe in-between thin to medium. It's also longer.

Now for my overall opinion... First of all, the consistency of the basecoat is thick. Even though it's thick, it's really easy to work with. It goes on smoothly, and there's no bumps and streaks. It's workable but if you find it too thick, you can make it thinner with a nail polish thinner. I recommend Seche Restore. I've used this thinner and it's better than a no name brand I've used. The only thing I noticed is that how quickly it decreases in the bottle. Then again I have the smaller size version of this basecoat. Secondly and this is my own personal opinion, the first month I noticed nothing special of this product. It felt like any other basecoats I have used. After a month, that's where my whole concept of basecoat changed. All of a sudden, my nail polishes would take longer to chip. I'm so used to OPI lasting 5 days. After a week, my nails hardly chipped. Not only that, I noticed my nails would grow faster than usual. I used to file my nails every 7 days when I change my nail polish. Now with this basecoat, I noticed it's the same length around 3-4 days. I also had very weak nails. I would wear nail polishes for couple of months, and then take a break from wearing nail polishes from breakage. Since I started wearing this basecoat, my nails are strong as a rock and I haven't taken a break. To end this, I also haven't dealt with yellowness. My nails used to turn yellow in a month. It hasn't changed color since I started this basecoat. This product has changed my life and changed my concept of basecoats.

Pros:
* Orly; a brand I trust.
* Smooth application and no bumps/streaks.
* Calcium; makes nails stronger.
* Protects the nail bed from the polish.
* Nails do not turn yellow.
* Nail polishes would last longer.

Cons:
* Thick consistency; it's not that hard to work with.

Would repurchase: Heck yes!!!
Rating:  5/5 Tobey's Paws

Disclaimer: The product mentioned in this post is given to me. I am not affiliated with the company nor getting paid to advertise the product. This post is written with my honest opinion.

1 comment:

Sachi said...

o0o0o0o0 After I finish the base coat I have now this is my next one! It sounds so promising. My nails are so thin and weak they need all the help they can get.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...